Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Bus ride to Ramallah with Usama and meeting ISM

I woke up early today, and hopped on Bus 18, going from Jerusalem to Ramallah, where ISM training takes place.

On the way there, I sat beside Usama. Usama is a Palestinian Muslim who for works an Israeli company, and lives in Bethlehem with his family. His English is pretty good, and we started talking. He allowed me to use his name, and to write down his words. He told me to feel free to write anything I want to, when I am in Palestine.

Usama told me about the situation in the West Bank- while according to him life is pretty good for Palestinians in PA controlled Ramallah and Bethlehem, the situation is very different for Palestinians in other parts of the West Bank, especially close to the settlements. Settlers make life as difficult as possible for Palestinians. Farm invasions, beatings, and arson are the norm. The Israeli Army protect the settlers. If Palestinians act violently, they are shot. Things are like this not only in Hebron, but also close to Nablus and other parts of the West Bank. The victims of the settlers are primarily Palestinian farmers, people working their land.

Usama told me that "there are good and bad Israelis, and there are good and bad Palestinians". He told me that on both sides, there are people who hate- "Palestinians who hate Israelis and Israelis who hate Palestinians". When they get powerful, there is violence. He told me he has Israeli Jewish friends who are very concerned about the situation in Gaza.

Usama said that the only way to peace is when Palestinians and Israelis both have equal rights.
He said that he is against bombings and kidnappings and killings of anyone- Israelis or Palestinians.
"I have no problems living with Israelis, they can live in Palestine, but we must live under one law".
I asked him whether he means "the good Israelis", as opposed to the settlers and those who support them, and he said no. He said that he would gladly live in peace with all Israelis, even the settlers. He said as long as there is one law and justice for everyone, he would have no problems.

He said that if and when this happens, there will be peace.

I got off the bus, and took a taxi to where I met K, my ISM contact. I am in the place where we will be trained now, and looking forward to the next few days. I meet a guy from Europe, who will be being trained also, and will hopes to be heading off to Nablus.

Breakfast is ready, so I am about to sign off. More later!


Israel has a policy of targeting ISMers for arrest and deportation, more even than other activist and human rights groups. For that reason, many of my fellow activists will probably not want to have photos taken of them. While some ISMers are ok having pictures taken of them and put on the blog, others aren't. All photos of my fellow activists on this blog were taken with their permission.

Neta Golan is one our trainers. An Israeli Jewish woman, she is one of the founders of ISM. Her courageous stance and action defending Palestinian rights has cost her many visits to prison and dangerous situations with Israeli soldiers and other armed personnell.


                                             Some of the ISMers doing training with me

Nana and Olivia

Luca


No comments:

Post a Comment