Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Dead Sea

The Dead Sea is one of the saltiest bodies of water in the world. It's names in Hebrew are Yam Hamelah (Sea of Salt), and Yam HaMaWet  (Sea of Death). No living creature is capable of surviving in its waters.

My wife and I went there on a typical Israeli summer day in that region- when it was thirty five degrees Celsius outside. It was extremely hot, and I learned that my mother was right... buying Crocs to wear would have been a good idea. Walking across the stones burns your feet like crazy, so I wore socks when walking into the water. Yeah, I know. Weird.

My wife and I also- like many other swimmers- splattered mud on ourselves and let it dry in the sun. It is supposedly very good for your skin.

As you look at these photos, bear in mind also that hundreds of thousands of Palestinians who live in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, have no access to swim and play here with their families and kids. Yet this is also a part of their country. yet they are excluded.

bussing to the Dead Sea

The Mineral Beach

                                                  My wife and I, before jumping in water and applying mud
                                                  treatment
                       
                                              

Fun in the waters of death. It seems impossible to sink here, even if you really try.



Getting all nice and muddy


I don't know what these things are, but they fly over to tourists and don't leave. They've probably been spoiled rotten by people giving them free stuff. I wouldn't want to mess with that beak.

       As the air dries the shore, the salt solidifies and leaves this white powder and crystals.




No comments:

Post a Comment